Kevin Kadirgamar joined Ward Keller in 2009 while he was completing a double degree in law and business at Charles Darwin University.
When he was admitted to practise in 2011, Kevin joined the firm's commercial division as a solicitor. His Migration Agent licence was granted in 2012, expanding his areas of practice to migration law.
Our role is to help people with residency difficulties in Australia," Kevin said. "That can range from assisting employers to bring in skilled workers from overseas, to assisting someone whose visa is at risk of cancellation.
We deal with a lot of people and hear a lot of personal stories, and that's what I love about it. Dealing with everyday people and being able to provide solutions.
Kevin also practises in general commercial law and criminal law.
Kevin has lived in Darwin for over 10 years. He was born in Sri Lanka and lived in the Maldives for five years before his family migrated to Darwin.
He is heavily involved in Darwin's multicultural community. He helped establish 'Multicultural Youth NT', a youth leadership organisation that promotes harmony, and he has previously sat on a number of boards, including the Australia Day Council, NT Council for Human Rights Education, the Youth Justice Advisory Committee and Neighbourhood Watch NT. Kevin helped establish, and chairs the NT Chapter of the Migration Institute of Australia, which is the professional representative body for migration practitioners. He is currently the President of the Multicultural Council of the Northern Territory.
In 2012, Kevin was named a People of Australia Ambassador' for the Australian Multicultural Council and in 2015 Kevin was named Young Lawyer of the Year by the Law Council of Australia.
Areas of Law
- skilled migration
- family migration
- refugee and humanitarian law
- character and health provisions
- merits review appeals
- judicial review and general administrative law
- criminal law
Qualifications & Memberships
- Master of Laws, Australian National University
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Charles Darwin University
- Bachelor of Business, Charles Darwin University
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Australian National University
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner in the Northern Territory (2011)
- Registered Migration Agent (MARN 1277145)
- Member and NT Chapter Secretary, Migration Institute of Australia
- Member, Migration Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia