Fran Joubert’s career story is an interesting one. As a Victorian trained lawyer, she’s practised in Western Australia since 2008, predominantly in mining and resources law but with a sideline in sports law and pro-bono assistance.
She moved to Darwin to join Ward Keller in July 2017, which she calls ‘one of the best decisions I’ve ever made’.
Fran came to law following a career in professional sport. She also has a Bachelor of Science (Hons) in biochemistry and a post-grad degree in sport science and exercise physiology. Fran has worked with professional athletes all over the world, including coaching NCAA basketball in the United States and working in the strength and conditioning team of the San Antonio Spurs.
After coaching at college level in the USA then travelling Europe teaching, coaching and playing basketball, Fran started her law degree through Deakin University. She covered basketball at the Commonwealth Games before jumping into legal roles with the Victorian Government Solicitor’s Office and then with the Law Institute of Victoria. She then moved west to join Rio Tinto.
Fran now practises in Ward Keller’s commercial (mining and resources) cell and loves her new workplace. ‘It’s a very collegiate and welcoming environment’, she said.
Fran continues her basketball coaching in Darwin and is also a passionate advocate of rescue dogs for people with depression and experiencing post-traumatic stress. ‘I’m obsessed with harnessing the amazing relationships we can have with dogs—as anyone who knows me will tell you!’
Areas of Law
- mining and resources
- sports law
- environmental law and regulation
- native title and Aboriginal land
- property and commercial
Qualifications & Memberships
- Bachelor of Commercial Laws, Deakin University
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) Monash University
- Graduate Diploma in Sports Science and Exercise Physiology, Victoria University
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner in Victoria (2008) and Western Australia (2008)
- Member, AMPLA
- Member, Australia and New Zealand Sports Lawyers Association (ANZSLA)